Lewis Blayse on 7:30 Report (ABC television) tonight @ 7:30

Dear all,

The 7:30 Report tonight on ABC television will include an interview with Dad that he conducted the day before he died.

Thank you to Elise Worthington and Conor Duffy and their team for giving Dad a chance to speak, and to Conor Duffy for arranging for me to speak today as well.

Thank you to Quentin McDermott for instigating it.

Thank you to Peter McCutcheon for interviewing me today for tonight’s program. I cannot thank you enough for giving me the opportunity to say something of what Dad would be hoping for for the future.

If I have forgotten to mention anyone associated with tonight’s program, my apologies, and thank you to you too.

Kind regards,

Aletha

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Lewis Blayse on 7:30 Report (ABC television) tonight @ 7:30

1. Beth Brosgarth says:

I am waiting to hear from ACPMH and will let you know personally but if links/literature can be useful to others we need to perhaps build a network to get it out there.
    I am very concerned as a psychologist that e.g. the Salvation Army have offered 10 counselling sessions when they have made a payment that I have heard about.
    From my military experience and association continuing with Veterans, I cannot think of one credible psychologist/psychiatrist who would say that 10 sessions were of any use. These victims should not be referred or use “internal” counsellors.” Their trust was broken during their abuse. Many of them would have had great difficulty trusting and making long lasting attachments…and particularly in psychological support as so often when “public” or rebate only psychologists move, the victims are often too exhausted and feel that their trust has been re broken. Many of the victims could not pay “the gap” etc. They mostly would not want to see a psychologist who is associated with a religious organisation – naturally. Perhaps we need to build a good support network of likeminded professionals who are not there just for the money!!
    Will get back to you, Karen, when I get follow up. I hope to be able to attend the last day of public hearings re the Salvation Army tomorrow. Will be in touch and thank you to you as well.
    Beth beth@brosgarth.com.au Phone 0412410979 Am Sydney based.

• Rude Record says:

PS Beth, I also think your idea of a network related to intergenerational trauma is a timely suggestion. It is long overdue in my opinion and could help to assist and support studies of the symptamology and etiology of decendants.

• Perry Bulwer says:

Beth, I’ve posted below some links to research articles on intergenerational trauma in the Canadian context of the Indian Residential School and child welfare systems, where the consequences of decades of systemic child abuse of all kinds is still playing out today, as in Australia where many of the issues are identical. The numerous links in my comment triggered the moderation function on this blog, so it hasn’t appeared here yet. But I am interested in any Australian research on this issue of intergenerational trauma and recovery.

I get an email alert when new comments are posted to this particular post, so if you find links to online research on this subject perhaps you could post them in this conversation thread.

• Rude Record says:

Beth, it has been 6 weeks since this email from you. Have you received a reply from ACPMH please? In professional circles 6 weeks without a reply, even an acknowledgement of correspondence, leaves me wondering that maybe your correspondence may not have been received?

Regards

Karen

2. Perry Bulwer says:

Here’s a link:

“Child abuse victim Lewis Blayse’s final interview: ‘Let no child walk this path again'”

• Perry Bulwer says:

Personally, I don’t like the word ‘victim’ in that headline. Lewis was a survivor, a strong survivor.

• lewisblayse says:

Hi Perry,
        I hear and understand precisely what you are saying, and am grateful that you saw the strength he possessed.
        Language matters. I wish there were a word that encapsulated both the reality of the appalling damage done to people like my Dad that didn’t diminish them too. Survivor is in its way better than victim, but it lets the bastards who did the damage and never rectified it off the hook too. I guess in the end it’s a complex story. Let us hope that when the responsible organisations finally do the right thing, everyone who has suffered for so long will not just be able to say they have survived, but that they are finally able to live and to THRIVE.
        Kind regards,
        Aletha

3. suburp says:

very touched by your father’s – and other victims – bravery to give the painful testimony of what are simply ‘unspeakable’ wrongs that were done to them when they were the most vulnerable and by people who were meant to make them feel save and loved again.
    my condolences for you and your family for losing your father when finally the truth is out in the open. although he is gone, his journey, his fight, his testimony will be his legacy.
    what a fine man.

4. Rude Record says:

I was deeply touched by your father’s journey. Finally his story has been told and his journey to fight injustices has been recognised. He was given a voice before his passing and his legacy lives on.

There is minimal attention paid to the children who live with adults who have been traumatised. The children suffer in ways that are not recognised as related especially if there is silence. The parent is oftentimes self absorbed and dysfunctional due to the demons.

Aletha, what I am interested in now exploring, is the intergenerational consequencs of living with a parent who has suffered in this manner.

Yours most sincelely

Karen Ellis

• lewisblayse says:

Dear Karen,

Thank you for your kind and insightful comments.

I have thought long and hard about inter-generational consequences. There is extensive research literature into epigenetic transference of trauma from parent to child. I believe there is also research into secondary traumatisation through hearing of or learning about what happened to one’s parent.

There are also be a myriad of other consequences.

I have always hoped that there would be more formal study into this issue.

There has been research done into inter-generational effects of trauma upon Vietnam vets’ children, and into inter-generational effects of trauma upon children (and even grandchildren) of Holocaust survivors. I hope that someone soon will conduct further study into inter-generational effects upon children of Forgotten Australians and other victims of child abuse.

Kind regards,

Aletha

• Rude Record says:

Thank you so much for you reply Aletha. When it’s convenient for you I would greatly appreciate some links and/or literature to what you describe in the next paragraph please:

I am aware of and have read some of the research done into inter-generational effects of trauma upon Vietnam vets’ children, and into inter-generational effects of trauma upon children (and even grandchildren) of Holocaust survivors.

Unfortunately this research and the book about Vietnam Vets and inter-generational trauma (? eggshells in the title) while informative and relevant were not specific to sexual abuse.

My email address for personal correspondence is de55@bigpond.net.au

Kind regards

Karen

• Beth Brosgarth says:

Hi Karen and Aletha and others

I have another hat as a psychologist. I do not want to “butt in” but have read your posts. I have done some courses with the ACPMH based at Melbourne University (i.e. The Australian Centre for Posttraumatic Mental Health. I am in the process of making contact with them to pass on the comments and questions (without your names) being asked if that is not presumptuous of me.
          As a university based centre which specialises in PTSD, I am hoping that they may have the best links to assist your enquiries. I am very ok about being contacted directly by email or by phone if you want to. I am in Sydney. 0412410979.
          I did email Lewis last week before his passing and said that my family and background WAS Salvation Army so I have almost an “insider’s” awareness about which I do not want to post here.
          Any information I get, would you like it posted here or elsewhere.
          Blessings to the Blayse family. Your dad would be so proud of your clarity of thought and expression (like his), Aletha, in such personally challenging times.

You said you would let us know when the funeral arrangements are made, Aletha.

Beth

• lewisblayse says:

Hi Karen,
          If you go onto Google Scholar (http://scholar.google.com.au/), and type in some of the key words I mentioned, you’ll find quite a bit. I should have clarified: I wasn’t talking about sexual abuse in isolation. I was talking about all forms of abuse. It disappointed Dad greatly that ‘only’ sexual abuse was being covered in the terms of reference for the commission. He did not mean to say that it was not horrific, but that we needed to look at other forms of abuse too – physical, psychological, spiritual, institutional, etc.
          I think there is still relevance in the literature on non-sexual abuse to the extent that sexual abuse is itself traumatic.
          If there is a gap in the literature on inter-generational effects of sexual abuse, I hope it is filled and filled soon.
          Kind regards,
          Aletha

• Perry Bulwer says:

Hi Aletha,

I submitted a comment to this conversation thread a few days ago. It contains several links to research studies on intergenerational trauma and recovery in the context of Canadian Indian Residential Schools where generations of Indigenous were abuse, tortured and experimented on. The links triggered the moderation function, so I’m just letting you know in case you were not aware a comment is waiting for your approval.

I notice the blog has a page for links, so maybe those links would be more appropriate there, in a section for research studies. If you think these kinds of studies would be useful I can send more links as I find them.

I am really glad your dad instilled his fighting spirit in you.